The Blattodea Culture GroupThe Cockroach Forum

Go Back   The Cockroach Forum > General Roach Talk > Roach Identification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Roach Identification For help in identifying roaches.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Egg

Default Need help to ID - Is this even a roach?

Hey guys,

I just found a weird bug this morning and I thought maybe you could help me ID it.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Nymph

I'm no entomologist, Bill, but that looks like an Assassin Bug to me...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Egg

Lol, it sure does!

But really, guys, not a clue?

I think it layed this:

And this is a close-up of it's foot:

See if it helps in anything...

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Egg

Hi!
It's not a roach, neither an Assassin bug, but I'm quite sure it is a Longhorn beetle (Cerambycidae), mainly (but not only) because of the length and tha shape of the antennas...
Sorry, I can't tell you the scientific name (I come from Italy, and I don't know US beetles)

Davide
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Egg

Hey Davide,

Thanks for replying. How can you tell if it's a roach or a beetle? I mean, besides the antennas.
It wouldn't really help if you knew american beetles 'cuz I'm from Brazil .

Anyways, thanks again, I'll do some research and see if I can find the species. If anyone can add some info, it's always welcome.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Egg

Hey guys,

I think I found it. If not the exact species, at least I got a really good idea of what it is. It's, as Davide said, a Cerambycidae, genus Trachyderes. I'm almost sure it's a Trachyderes reichei peruvianus, even though I don't live in Peru. It could also be Trachyderes mm-ornata or a Trachyderes variegata var. flavocinctus but I'm preety happy with what I got .

Thanks a lot,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Beazley : 02-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Egg

Ehr.. didn't watch your profile...
I'm not such an expert, and I've read something just in italian, so don't pretend me giving scientific descriptions in English.
Basically you can distinguish the difference between roaches and beetles whatching their general aspect: roaches have their head below the thorax (like they're looking their belly), very long but thin antennas, "spiny" legs, they run very fast, can eat nearly anything, etc... Longhorn beetles (which are but a part of all beetles you can find) have the head axially connected to the thorax (looking forward), long antennas (very often longer than their body) with the first segment thicker than the others; they don't run that fast, and live of wood (in larval stage) or flowers (adults). Of course, also the "forewings" (I don't know the correct term) are different: for the roaches, if present, there is one partially overlapping the other, while in longhorn beetles they are parallel, not overlapping and quite hard (of course with some exceptions).
I think you could find better explanations just taking any entomological book...
Davide
Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Egg

Hey Davide,

Thanks for the explanations. I really didn't want a full scientific explanation as to the differences of beetles and roaches, I just wanted to know how you knew it. Thanks for clarifying that!

And thanks aswell for the cerambycidae clue, that way I narrowed down a bit the possibilities and I was able to find the species.

[]'s

Bill