The Blattodea Culture GroupThe Cockroach Forum

Go Back   The Cockroach Forum > General Roach Talk > Housing and Breeding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Housing and Breeding Share tips on roach-rearing, diet, and husbandry issues.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Egg

Default Roach parasites (worms)

I was given a nice group of roaches, which I think are Gromphadorhina oblongonata. The first adult male moulted today. Looks fantastic.

Unfortunatley, the group has some sort of parasite. Luckily I spotted the parasites not long after I got them, before they got a chance to go near my other roaches.

Ive found many encapsulated larvae, cysts, or whatever they are in the stools. In the photo below, you can see a ruler will millimeter increments to get an idea of size.

I also have found a few of the worms . This one was about 12mm, you can see a proboscis, and half of the body being darker than the other.

Has anyone had any experience with such parasites with roaches? More imporantly, how can I get rid of them. I heard of treating crickets with worms with panacur. I initially thought this had worked, as I found 3 dead worms the following day. I repeated the treatment a week after. Two weeks later, Ive found more of the "eggs". Im not saying there have been no "eggs" shed in the last few weeks, as theyre not always easy to spot.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Egg

Im surprised noone has anything on these.

I have roaches from three different sources which have these worms, so theyre clearly quite abundant in the hobby.

More importantly, I'd like to find out whether they pose a risk to animals eating the roaches. All three sources used the roaches as feeders to reptiles. Intermediate host?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Bughunter

Hi!

Sorry, but I have never heard of this before, but thanks for sharing.
I may have an idea on how to get rid of the worms (or at least decrease the number).
Pumpkin seeds have been used to get rid of worms as a herbal treatment in humans and I know a few who has also used it to get rid of worms in pet snails.

I don't know how effective it is, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck and sorry for my English.

Best wishes
Fredrik