The Blattodea Culture GroupThe Cockroach Forum

Go Back   The Cockroach Forum > General Roach Talk > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Feeders Discussion on feeding roaches to other animals.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 AM
Supa Dupa

Thumbs up Roaches for Bearded Dragons

This thread is for those of you to share your experiences using roaches to feed bearded dragons. I own one lucky bearded dragon who gets to sample a wide variety of roaches.

I would have to say that bearded dragon owners have it the easiest because beardeds are generally not picky what kind of roach you choose. While some bearded owners swear by lobster roaches and Blatta lateralis, both of which are able to keep up with the demands of supplying large meals, those species in my opinion end up becoming too small to feed adult beardeds.

My advice to those of you who only own one or two beardeds is to invest in a bigger nonclimbing species like Blaptica dubia, Eublaberus posticus, or Blaberus discoidalis. They are a better investment in the long run. If you have the time to get a colony established, do it. You also wouldn't have to worry as much about overproduction since it's easy to slow production by lowering temperatures, whereas lobster roach colonies can easily spiral out of control.

For those of you who breed beardeds, I suggest starting a colony of B. dubia, E. posticus, or B. discoidalis, while having a lobster roach colony to use in the meantime, or even just to feed your baby beardeds.

One word of caution is that it's imperative to slowly transition your bearded to roaches instead of switching them all at once. The latter may cause some digestion problems, lethargy, smelly poop, etc. until the beardeds adjust to their new diet.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Egg

Default Candy

Hello all,I have at the moment many Inland Bearded Dragons ( Pogona Vitticeps).Like all breeders I try to keep my costs down ,while at the same time offering the best possible diet for my animals.There are many sites on the net that will give you nutritional break downs compaing different feeder choices.Roaches come off looking really good by comparison. Though I really should point out that the best possible diet for any animal is a good healthy variety of foods,complimented by a good vitamin suppliment.One day I sat and watched a big female of mine pollish off a hundred or so crickets in less than a minute and thought perhaps i should look for a slightly larger insect to feed her.Though i raise a few different insects for the Dragons,I find the Roaches one of the easiest and healthiest choices.Due to the size of some of my roaches that same female only needs two or three insects as opposed to a hundred or more at a time.Species like the Blatta Latteralis breed supremely quik and though a bit small for adult Dragons can easily be seperated by size using a home made sorting bin.The young are a perfect size for hatchling Dragons.Anyone who spends the time to watch their animals eat has seen many different feeding responses.I have been feeding Roaches to my Dragons for quite a while now and i still can't get over the agressive response they get.They'll almost do back flips for em.It's like throwing a steak to someone who's only ever had chicken nuggets lol.The beauty of raising your own feeders is you know exactly what they have been eating and in turn you know exactly what the animal you feed them to is getting.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Egg

Default feeder roach colonies

I also have two colonies (discoids and blatta lataralis or rusty reds-turkish). My discoid colony is small but beginning to grow. They do seem quite slow had them about a year. The turks however are much faster.

I am looking for a good sorting system. I also have a breeding colony of Bearded Dragons and am having to to manually get the size I want for my smallest babies.

My dragons get crix as well because most new owners will not have roaches in the home, and I don't want them to be an unfamilier food to them.

Can anyone help with the sorting issue? It would be hugely appreciated. I have of course asked some of the big breeders and they all say oh no that is a trade secret and cannot divulge any information on the subject. Not trying to steal anyones thunder just want to feed my babies alittle easier. Right now just knocking some in a cup and letting the bigger ones go back into the bin.

Thanks for any help.
sunshine
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Egg

I call it the "pan for gold" technique. Buy a small bucket, drill appropriate sized holes for the roaches you want to seperate. I have the turkistans, by the way. Anyway, I select a small drill bit, drill alot of holes in the bottom of the bucket and start dumping them in. I hold the bucket over the container I use for the nymphs. I shake them good, but gentle in side to side motion, just like I am panning for gold. The little guys fall right through the holes into their new container and the big guys stay in the breeding bin.

very easy to do.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Nymph

Sounds feasible, but what keeps the tiny nymphs in the bucket from the moment they're born until the time you want to sift them? Do you have some kind of screen over the holes when they're not required?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Egg

Default Feeding Roaches

Thanks so much for all replies. I can certainly do that. I did take all the egg casings and placed them in another container and the are beginning to hatch quite well at the moment. Yes I will get a new bucket and drill to my little hearts content.
sunshine
Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Nymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
Sounds feasible, but what keeps the tiny nymphs in the bucket from the moment they're born until the time you want to sift them? Do you have some kind of screen over the holes when they're not required? Perhaps they're housed in a different bin entirely?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Egg

I have a colony of lobster roaches that I use as feeders for my beardie. I must say that I'm as fascinated with my roaches as I am with my dragon and my silkworms. They are so cool to watch and easy to take care of.